The latest information about COVID-19 protocols at Manhattan School of Music
Key mask and vaccine policy information as of Fall 2023
- Community members are no longer required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, and proof of vaccination is no longer required to be submitted.
- MSM strongly recommends that all community members continue to follow CDC Guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination which recommend that everyone be up to date with COVID-19 vaccines, including boosters.
Key information for MSM students from MSM Dean of Students Monica Christensen
- You are strongly encouraged to have received the initial dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, and to stay up to date with your booster shots.
- If you feel ill, please take a rapid test to determine if you have COVID-19 (Please note: MSM does not provide tests; they are widely available at pharmacies, and we highly suggest you purchase one or more in advance to have on hand)
- If you do contract COVID-19, you should follow all CDC guidelines, including isolating in your room or apartment for 5 days (note: Residence Life will no longer be offering isolation rooms). Coordinate with friends to procure meals and other necessities; if you must leave your room, put on a mask and stay at least 6 feet from others.
- In order to be excused from classes, please email Campus Health with a photo of your positive rapid test. She will excuse you from classes during your isolation period through the usual class medical excuse procedure. As with any other medical excuse, the nurse will not identify the reason for the excuse.
- In the unlikely event that you become very ill, please call the RA on Duty or emergency medical services at 911.
A message from MSM President Jim Gandre and MSM Executive Vice President and Provost Joyce Griggs
April 23, 2023
Dear MSM Community,
The status of the COVID-19 pandemic has greatly improved, with cases continuing to decline both locally and nationally. The availability of vaccines and boosters, access to treatment, and the appropriate use of other protective measures have all contributed to this improvement.
Bearing these factors in mind, as of Friday, May 19, 2023, MSM made several important updates to its COVID-19 policies:
Community members will no longer be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, and proof of vaccination will not need to be submitted. However, MSM strongly recommends that all community members continue to follow CDC Guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination which recommend that everyone be up to date with COVID-19 vaccines, including boosters.
Community members who test positive for COVID-19 will no longer be required to report their result to our COVID Response team. All community members should refer to the CDC for guidance after a positive test and consult with a health care professional to receive appropriate care.
It has been a long road since COVID-19 upended our lives more than three years ago. We are so proud of everyone in the MSM Community for the way everyone has worked together to navigate this public health crisis. As has long been the case, MSM will continue to monitor COVID-19 carefully and adjust our policies as needed.
We are thankful to MSM’s Pandemic Response Team for their time and efforts as they helped to guide the MSM Community through the pandemic over these past years.
Executive Vice President and Provost
Campus improvements since March 2020
- In Summer 2020, MSM consulted with a mechanical engineer who evaluated all our various HVAC setups on campus. The engineering firm provided recommendations that aligned with industry guidance to reduce the risk of airborne exposure.
- We implemented mechanical equipment to improve fresh airflow and filtration. In instances where that was not possible (primarily some practice rooms, teaching studios, and offices in the main building), we invested in air filter units for those rooms.
- 150 air filtration units from AtmosAir have been installed. These units are primarily located in the Main Building, specifically in teaching studios, practice rooms, and offices.
- The units incorporate a multi-layered filtration system, which includes HEPA, UV sterilization, and an ionizer.
- These environmental elements are still in place and will be utilized through this year.
- 21 studios/classrooms have Zoom and WiFi capabilities. The equipment, viewable in one of the attached photos, will be available for use along with our permanent audio cabinets installed in most classrooms.